Hypnotherapy is a form of holistic therapy that uses hypnosis as a way to help people to achieve their goals, whether that is to feel less stress or to stop craving something like cigarettes. Hypnosis is a state of heightened concentration, and as such, hypnotherapy uses this to assist in changing specific thoughts, feelings, and behaviors for a person. When hypnotized, your mind becomes more open to suggestion which is the basis of hypnotherapy.
During a hypnotherapy session, the hypnotherapist will use a range of different techniques to help with inducing hypnosis such as relaxation exercises, guided imagery, and positive visualization. Once the state of hypnosis has been reached, the hypnotherapist will then provide suggestions and ideas that are designed to help the person undergoing the treatment to reach their goals.
Who can benefit from hypnotherapy?
Hypnotherapy can provide benefits to almost anyone, providing that they believe that it will help them and understand the expectations around the goals they are looking to achieve. The biggest advice we can give to ensure that you get the most out of a hypnotherapy treatment are to be open to the experience, to relax and let go of your worries and concerns, to follow the suggestions that the hypnotherapist gives you and to practice the techniques that you lean in between sessions.
Some of the more common goals for people who come to us for hypnotherapy are;
- Reduced anxiety and stress: Hypnotherapy can help to reduce anxiety and stress by helping people to relax and focus their attention. This can be helpful for people who suffer from anxiety disorders, such as panic disorder and social anxiety disorder.
- Improved pain management: Hypnotherapy can help to reduce pain by helping people to change their perception of pain. This can be helpful for people who suffer from chronic pain, such as back pain and headaches.
- Weight loss: Hypnotherapy can help people to lose weight by helping them to change their eating habits and their relationship with food. This can be helpful for people who are struggling to lose weight on their own.
- Smoking cessation: Hypnotherapy can help people to quit smoking by helping them to change their mindset about smoking and by providing them with motivation to quit. This can be helpful for people who have tried to quit smoking on their own but have been unsuccessful.
- Phobias: Hypnotherapy can help people to overcome phobias by helping them to face their fears in a safe and controlled environment. This can be helpful for people who suffer from phobias of spiders, heights, or public speaking.
- Insomnia: Hypnotherapy can help people to improve their sleep by helping them to relax and fall asleep more easily. This can be helpful for people who suffer from insomnia or who have trouble sleeping through the night.
- Performance anxiety: Hypnotherapy can help people to reduce performance anxiety by helping them to relax and focus their attention. This can be helpful for people who suffer from performance anxiety in areas such as public speaking, sports, or taking exams.
- Trauma: Hypnotherapy can help people to heal from trauma by helping them to process their experiences and to develop coping mechanisms. This can be helpful for people who have experienced a traumatic event, such as a car accident or a natural disaster.
Is hypnotherapy safe?
In short, yes, hypnotherapy is completely safe and is an effective form of therapy that can be used to help with a number of different problem points. However, it’s important to be aware of the fact that while it is safe, it may not be as effective for you as it is for somebody else as everyone has different goals and expectations from the outset.
Are there any risks associated with a therapy session?
The term risk is probably the wrong one to use as there are no real risks associated with undergoing hypnotherapy, although there are a number of different possible side effects that are completely normal, such as;
- Tiredness of grogginess after undergoing a therapy session
- Feeling more suggestible than usual
- Experiencing more vivid dreams
- Anxiousness during the sessions
If you start to experience any side effects, speaking with the hypnotherapist is the best thing you can do as they will be able to help to alleviate these and potentially change the way that the sessions are working to more effectively help you.
Is hypnotherapy the right treatment for me?
If you’ve been thinking about booking a hypnotherapy treatment, it’s important to know that it should never be used as a substitute for medical treatment but to be used as a complementary therapy instead. Booking a consultation with us are the first steps that you need to take and our hypnotherapist will be able to discuss any questions and goals you have, before helping to set realistic expectations with you of what hypnotherapy can do for you.
To find out more, or to book a consultation with our hypnotherapist, click here or call us on 01270 627118.
How Can We Help You
Whether it’s a quick question that you need to ask, or you would like to book an appointment with us, we want to hear from you. Simply fill in the form below or contact us on 01270 627118.