Your skin is the largest organ found within your body, and it deserves to be taken care of. On a day to day basis your skin faces the elements, has to deal with different fabrics and textures rubbing against it and even has to deal with different chemicals that can all cause irritation, leaving your skin feeling a bit worse for wear. This is where skincare comes into play, and a good skincare routine can help you to achieve clearer, healthier and more radiant skin (not to mention helping you look and feel younger).
A good skincare routine has a number of different benefits for you (not just your skin), some of which include;
- Improved skin health: Any good skincare routine will help to strengthen your skin and helps to protect it from the elements, such as sun damage, weather and pollution. If you’re using moisturising solutions it can help to keep your skin hydrated and prevent skin dryness, which tends to lead to irritation and breakouts.
- Reduce the dreaded signs of aging: Aging is something that everyone has to deal with from the moment they are born, and as we age our skin naturally loses its ability to produce collagen. Undertaking a good skincare routine can help to actively fight and slow down the signs of aging, such as the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and age spots.
- Improving your self-confidence: If your skin is clear and healthy, you’re probably going to feel much more confident and outgoing than if you’re in the middle of a breakout. A good skincare routine is capable of helping you to feel at your best, both on the inside and outside.
- Stress reduction: Taking, or making, the time to take care of your skin can actually be quite a relaxing and enjoyable experience for you, as well as helping to relieve your stress. In turn, this can have a positive impact to your overall mental health and wellbeing.
What’s a good starting point for a skincare routine?
When you’re making the decision to start taking better care of your skin, it can be overwhelming to look online at the sheer amount of products that are available out there and they all promise the same thing. Our skincare assessments can help you to figure out the type of skin that you have, and what kind of products will be best for you to take care of it well, and we stock a range of Medik8 products within the clinic that we can recommend to you following your assessment.
If you’d rather take a look online or go to your local beauty products retailer, some tips to create a good skincare routine are;
- Start with a gentle cleanser: Your cleanser is one of the more important parts and is there to remove dirt, oil, and makeup that is capable of clogging up your pores, without stripping your skin of its natural oils. Look for a cleanser that is labeled as “non-comedogenic,” which means it won’t clog your pores.
- Moisturise regularly: Moisturising helps to keep your skin hydrated and prevent dryness. Look for a moisturizer that is oil-free and non-comedogenic, and you’ll notice a real difference when you look at yourself in the mirror.
- Use sunscreen every day: Sunscreen is something that most people don’t actually ever think about using unless they’re on holiday, but actually it’s one of the most important steps in any skincare routine. It helps to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays (that are there even when it’s cloudy outside), which can cause premature aging, wrinkles, and skin cancer.
- Exfoliate regularly: Exfoliating helps to remove dead skin cells and reveal fresh, new skin. Look for an exfoliator that is gentle and non-abrasive.
- Use targeted products as needed: If you have specific skin concerns, such as acne or dark spots, you may want to use targeted products. These products can help to address your specific concerns and improve the overall appearance of your skin.
It’s important to find a skincare routine that works for you and your skin type. If you’re not sure where to start, talk to our aesthetics team and they can help you to work out which products would be best for you and your skin.
A good skincare routine takes time and effort, but it’s worth it. When you take care of your skin, you’re investing in your health and well-being. You’re also giving yourself the best possible chance to have clear, healthy, and radiant skin for years to come.
How Can We Help You
Whether it’s a quick question that you need to ask, or you would like to book an appointment with us, we want to hear from you. Simply fill in the form below or contact us on 01270 627118.